Pages

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Christmas past and present.

I hope everyone is enjoying their preparations for the upcoming holidays. I have most of the Christmas shopping done with the exception of a couple of items. I do know that one special present I am working on will have to be a late delivery. Shhhhh, I know my family is reading this so I can't tell you what it is.

Funny thing is, I don't even know where I will be celebrating the holidays. I have family but they are all going to be at other places celebrating. It is not the first time that I have been by myself for the holidays. There have been many times where I will work overtime so someone else can spend the holidays with their family. When I am working then I will either stop by my sisters house after I get off work in the morning or at night after I wake up and have a nice little visit. When I am not working I just relax at home, enjoy a little meal, and watch Christmas movies. To some it may sound lonely or boring but after being single for so long, I have gotten pretty used to it.

It was weird when Max moved in with me and I actually had to do up the house and everything for him. It ended up being fun with him there. I upgraded from a little tabletop tree to a regular tree. That led to more ornaments, Christmas lights, etc. Every year it got bigger and bigger. Now that I am back in a little place I gave the Christmas decorations to my Nephew to use in his new place. He got a HUGE red rolling tote filled with everything he needed. Tree, lights, decorations, wrapping paper, and even Christmas cards. Instant Christmas in a tote. Hmmmm, maybe this is an idea that could sell.

Now don't get me wrong, I am no scrooge, I love celebrating the holidays. But I don't let being alone get me down. In fact, I haven't celebrated new years in ages. Why? Because when you are single you really don't have anything to do because everyone I know is out with their husband/boyfriend celebrating. That is OK. Sometimes being alone can be a benefit. Nobody to pick up after, nag you, or fight with. LOL

So wherever, whenever, or with whomever you celebrate, I wish you a happy holidays.

4 comments:

  1. We don't decorate at all because we drive down to visit our daughter. n past years we have had enormous trees and decorations. I don't miss them at all.

    We haven't been out for New Years for 25 years! Wait, I take that back, we have gone out when we were on a ski vacation and stayed right in the village.

    I personally think the Holidays are way over done.

    Glad you don't get "depressed"

    Spend some time reading blogs and getting to know people's stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a P.S. to my other comment. I just "back read" the rest of your blog. I really liked reading about your childhood. It helps me feel like I know you a little bit.

    I'm looking forward to following you in the future. I'm a dreamer too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa,
    Thanks for stopping by A Camp Host Housewife's blog and leaving a comment. Even though I have a husband and a dog, I do get lonely at Christmas time. My brothers live in North Carolina with their families and I am in California in our RV for the holidays. I've always missed my N.C. family during the holidays. Can't seem to shake it but I guess not enough to go back there and leave my little life. Your holidays sound cozy and peaceful. Oh, we don't celebrate N.Y. either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there Lisa!
    Just wanted to throw in there that Jonathan and I haven't celebrated New Years in ages! We don't like having to stay up late and hanging out with seriously drunk people just to say that we did.

    Christmas is usually celebrated at one of our family's houses, so we don't even put up our own tree or decorate our house.

    I dunno...the older I get, the less need I feel to do things for the sake of being like everyone else.

    Great post today!


    Nellie
    http://midlifecruiser.blogspot.com
    (36 year old fulltime RVer living la vida loca with a cute-butt husband and a stink-butt dog!)

    ReplyDelete