Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Work, cold weather, and nuthin' much else.

Work shifts are zipping by pretty quickly here. I can say that despite being busy but not crazy busy it has made the week go by quickly. The usual stuff as expected. No crazies. Actually quieter than usual by this time of the year. We did have a statewide disaster response exercise. I was lucky and didn't have to participate in that. Heard it went great though.

The weather is cold here now. Being a coldie I am not a happy camper. I don't like it below 80 degrees. I miss the warm weather already. If you don't remember, I don't watch the news or weather report. So I was oblivious to a big storm coming my way which started a domino effect. I left for work Wednesday night and saw it was cooler than I expected when I walked out my door. As I was driving to work I was hit with driving rain. I thanked my lucky stars that I didn't have any windows open at home. We were pretty busy in the ER because of the storm. By morning time when I got off work I was stunned when I walked outside. I shivered at how cold it was and jogged to my car. Scrubs doesn't do anything for cold weather since they are paper thin. I was sitting in my car shivering and the outside temp on the dashboard read a cold 46 degrees. Brrrrr!!!!!!

When I got home I was even more surprised because Sweetpea didn't greet me at the door as usual. She was sitting on my bed in a tight ball looking at me with a very annoyed look. I quickly figured out she was not happy with me because I didn't leave the heater on for her. I have a wall mounted air conditioner/heater in the living room and one in the bedroom. I don't care for them because they don't have a thermostat. It is an older model with one of those idiot dials with a blue/red stripe. Not very efficient in trying to control my electric bills. I was enjoying the cooler temps and had the thing turned off during the night, not realizing the drastic drop it was going to take.

I quickly turned the unit on heat and realized what a big mistake that was. I have not used the heater since last winter and all the dust quickly burned off. Now the smoke alarm was screaming and Sweetpea ran under the bed, scared from the ruckus. Now she was really going to be mad at me. I didn't see her for the rest of the morning before I went to bed.

I got the place vented of the foul smelling smoke, then warmed up toasty, and then finally was able to get back to my normal morning routine. The only exception to that was I was in my closet trying to dig out my long underwear. Scrubs were not going to cut it for long at work with this weather. Everyone at work gives me a hard time about how many layers I am wearing and joke about it. I don't care. I don't like being cold and if it means wearing 3 layers beneath my scrubs then that is what I will do. Some nights I am sitting there toasty warm and they are the ones that are cold. I just sit there and smile. Hah! Jokes on them.

The rest of the week was spent working, freezing my behind (didn't wear enough layers), and lots of rain around here which we need.

1 comment:

  1. Hey woman! You didn't leave your email :)) I'd love to at least take a peek at pics of your grandmother's house, location, etc. Not sure if it's in our price range, etc. Can't hurt to look though!

    xo! Nellie
    nellie tate at yahoo